Please understand that by listing the following items I am not making prophecies or predictions of what will happen. But it seems that the probability is high that those who would like to see these kinds of changes will see the new political landscape as a wonderful opportunity to push for these changes.
As Christians we need to be praying for elected and appointed officials more than ever. We also need to be communicating with them when we begin to see "movement" on these kinds of issues.
While it is true that some of these things may occur in spite of strong Christian reaction, it seems possible that if enough Christians speak out (by communicating with elected officials) when these things begin to occur, it could at least slow down our rush toward the abyss. If enough politicians believe that enough people are watching and caring about these issues that they could be threatened in the mid-term elections (two years from now), they might be reluctant to press too hard too fast.
But whether we succeed or not, we are called to be salt and light in our world. We are not called to succeed. We are called to be faithful. The one thing we must not do is simply lie down and play dead.
We must Pray. We must Watch. And we must Communicate.
Some of the Things We Must Watch For
- Killing unborn babies becoming easier to do with less stigma attached to the horror.
- States which have refused to recognize same-sex marriages being forced to accept them. School children required to envision homosexual married couples as normal.
- Creative ways to nationalize/socialize more of the US economy "for the good of the people."
- More openness to and opportunities for cloning and embryonic stem cell research.
- Discussions that consider the possibility that in some cases euthanasia might be appropriate.
- Pressure on private Christian organizations to hire practicing homosexuals or openly non-christian individuals, along with pressure on Christians to acknowledge that homosexual activity is normal and acceptable.
- More able-bodied people being given taxpayer money (in the form of income, housing, and medical treatment) even though they refuse to work. Of course, this would be accompanied by an increasing tax burden on the people who are willing to work.
- More supreme court justices cut from the same cloth as Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
- An attempt to reinstate the so-called "fairness doctrine" in an effort to silence conservative commentators on political, cultural, and social issues.
- Weakening of the US military or of our resolve to stand up to foreign thugs
- Movement toward penalizing and handicapping American businesses and individuals in the name of protecting the environment
- More susceptibility to pressure and propaganda from the United Nations which may be more aggressive than ever in its attempts to pressure the USA to adopt "values" which are based more on "world opinion" than on the Biblical principles on which our country was founded.
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list. But it is pretty breathtaking!
America has changed dramatically over the past 40 years. It could change even more dramatically over the next few years.
Even so, Christians must remain confident that no matter how much America changes, God will not!
Right now might be a good time to meditate on verses like these:
"For I, the Lord, do not change" (Mal 3:6)
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (Heb 13:8)
"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." (Jas 1:17)
"Even they will perish, but You endure; And all of them will wear out like a garment; Like clothing You will change them and they will be changed. But You are the same, And Your years will not come to an end. The children of Your servants will continue, And their descendants will be established before You." (Ps 102:26-28)
Stay in the Battle! In Christ, we win!